This Watermelon Soup is a very quick meal. Say…10 minutes start to finish maximum. What’s great is that not only is it fast, it’s totally not complicated. You just toss all the ingredients into a blender (except the crab), pop into a bowl, add the crabmeat, garnish and serve. It’s not a very heavy meal, so I’d take that into consideration when feeding to your hungry house piglets, but it would be great as an appetizer for a dinner party or on a night when it’s so damn hot out that you can’t even imagine eating anything out of the oven!
Chilled Spicy Watermelon Soup
- 4 cups Watermelon (pureed in the blender)
- 4 tbsp mint leaves (add slowly and adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- lime juice from 2 limes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or hot chili oil (add slowly to taste)
- salt to taste
- 1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat
- Blend/Puree the watermelon, mint, ginger, olive oil and lime juice.
- If you prefer a smoother/pulp free soup, ready a very fine mesh strainer or chinoise and pour the liquid through the strainer. With a large spoon press gently against the sides of the strainer, pushing the liquid through.
- Season with Salt and cayenne pepper/chili oil to taste.
- Serve with a dollup of creme fresh, greek yogurt, or crab meat. Add some mint leaves for garnish (ugh…I know my photo has basil…WRONG!)